Morwick Reduction Sale With Guest Consignments From Acton, Twemlow and Troutbeck
Sale Date: 7th June 2015
A sale of Ayrshires and Red and White Holstein Cattle from four herds took place at Beeston Castle Auction on Friday 7th June in front of large company of buyers from Mid Scotland to Kent.
The sale was led by a major reduction of the loose housed and noted Morwick Herd, The property of D A Howie & Sons of Morwick Farm, Acklington, Northumberland who included in their consignment of the entire group of cattle that were red and white and milking with their third or younger lactations. The cattle followed an all year round calving pattern with a bias towards winter milk production.
The top selling milker from Morwick was Morwick Ad Queen Red recently scored (EX 91) in her third lactation and due again in November to Rustler Red. She is a daughter of Duchess Advent Duke Red and is out of Morwick Sand Queen Red 2nd, one of five Excellent full sisters from this outstanding family. She sold for 3400 gns in a three way split between, Richard Baynes, Hexham, A & S Lawrie, Cuthill Towers, Perth and Kinross and H Tinker & Sons, Rotherham. Next in the price list was Morwick Savard Duchess Red (VG 87‐2yr), a daughter of the Swiss bull, Savard but from a different branch of the Queen family. She sold for 3000 gns, due in July with her second to George and Jason Booth of Stewartstown, Co Tyrone. The top selling milking heifer was Morwick Trendsetter Posy Red (VG 85‐2yr), a daughter of the Stardel Classic son, Barendonk Trendsetter who calved in March and sold to George Bonsall of Slindon, Staffordshire.
However it was a three month old heifer calf Morwick Spectrum Princess Red, by Charpentier LFG Spectrum and from another line of the Queen family that topped the Morwick section of the sale realising 5000 gns to Willie Whiteford of Carlisle with the vendors retaining a half share. Another calf, this time the January born Morwick Colt Tiara Red, a naturally polled daughter of Sandy Valley Colt P Red with seven generations of VG/EX dams sold for 3300 gns to an undisclosed South Wales buyer.
This consignment from Acton was certainly touched with a great deal of sadness following the sad and very untimely death of owner John Tomlinson of Church Farm, Acton, Nantwich earlier this year. The star of the sale was undoubtedly Acton Jubilant Amanda (VG 85‐3yr) who just calved her second calf a fortnight before the sale. Amanda is a daughter of Brieryside Jubilant Scot and out of the (EX 95‐5E) Attwell Amanda 4th who is still going strong and milking with her 8th calf; she is one of the best young cows of the breed in the country today and this was certainly vindicated by her price as she realised the top bid of the sale selling to Geoff Benson of Tarporley. Her full sister the two year old recently served Acton Jubilant Amanda 3rd sold for 2700 gns R Adams of Shrewsbury.
Marshall and Patsy Barnett of Bank Farm, Twemlow, Holmes Chapel are no longer in milk production but continue to rear heifers under their well known Twemlow prefix. They consigned three beautiful heifers with the top seller being Twemlow Peggy 12th, a daughter of the homebred Major Threat. She has three EX/VG dams and a VG sister; she sold a week fresh with final bid being made by Smith Farms (Clacton) Ltd., Essex.
Frank and Margaret Mattinson and Sons of Rosewain Farm, Wigton, made a lovely consignment of calved and in‐calf heifers from their large Cumbria based herd. They really were a good group and sold consistently well from start to finish. Their top calved heifer was Troutbeck Dollar Princess 3rd, a March calved daughter of the homebred Jordan Jester who sold for 2450 gns to Caernarfon College Glynllifon. Their top in‐calf heifer was Troutbeck April Avril by Big
Apple Red which sold for 2150 gns to RJ Latham, Tarporley.
- Lot 100 - Acton Jubilant Amanda - G Benson, Tarporley - 6200
- Lot 97 - Morwick Spectrum Princess Red - J Whiteford & Sons, Carlisle/D A Howie & Sons - 5000
- Lot 34 - Morwick Ad Queen Red (EX 91) GG Baynes & Son/A & S Lawrie/ H Tinker & Sons - 3400
- Lot 93 - Morwick Colt Tiara Red ET - Undisclosed S Wales Purchaser - 3300
- Lot 28 - Morwick Savard Duchess Red (VG 87‐2yr) - G Booth, N.Ireland - 3000
- Lot 91 - Morwick Trendsetter Posy Red (VG 85) - A G Bonsall, Staffordshire - 2950
- Lot 49 - Morwick Rustler Gladys Red (VG 87‐2yr) - LG & G Vasami, Cardigan - 2750
- Lot 105 - Acton Jubilant Amanda 3rd ET - R Adams, Shrewsbury - 2700
- Lot 113 - Twemlow Peggy 12th - Smith Farms(Clacton) Ltd, Essex - 2700
- Lot 4 - Morwick Faber Merissa Red (VG 89) - Ledgers Farm Ltd, Kent - 2600
- Lot 81 - Morwick Fidelty Molli Red (VG 86) - J W Thomas, Carmarthen - 2600
- Lot 89 - Morwick Jotan Elena Red (VG 85) - LG & G Vasami, Cardigan - 2600
- Lot 103 Acton Jubilant Heather Honey (GP 80) - F A Brown & Son, Carnforth - 2600
- Lot 121 Troutbeck Dollar Princess 3rd - Caernarfon College Glynllifon - 2450
89 Cows and Heifers in‐milk (inc 23 Heifer calves at £936.33) - £2039.84
2 Bulls - £1470.
91 HEAD - £2030.65.
3 Cows (inc 2 bull calves at £157.50) - £3815.00
2 Served Heifers £2572.50; 2 Maiden Heifers - £1522.50.
1 Bull - £735.00. 8 HEAD - £2546.25.
1 Calved Heifer - £2835.00.
2 In‐calf Heifers - £2388.75.
3 HEAD - £2537.50.
17 Calved Heifers - £1930.15
16 In‐calf Heifers - £1876.88
33 HEAD - £1904.32.
WRIGHT MANLEY of Beeston Castle Auction, Cheshire were the Auctioneers.